Page last updated: May 20, 2014

Alcohol consumption in Thailand

According to the latest alcohol consumption data compiled by the WHO-affiliated Center for Alcohol Studies (CAS), based at Chulalongkorn University, Thailand ranks first amongst countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), closely followed by Laos, then the Philippines, Cambodia and Vietnam. The average Thai, according to the CAS figures, consumes 7.1 litres of pure alcohol a year. The report, Current Situation and Effect of Alcohol Consumption in Thailand 2013 shows that 31.5% of Thais aged 15 years and over, or about 17 million people, consume alcohol regularly. Men consume alcohol more than women, and 77% of regular drinkers are adults – the other 23% are under age.

 

All text and images © 2003 Alcohol In Moderation.