Page last updated:October 25, 2013
UK Drink-Drive deaths: good and bad news 2012
Department for Transport (DfT) provisional figures suggest that 290 people were killed in drink-drive accidents in the UK in 2012 - up 25% from 230 on the previous 12 months. The 2011 total was the lowest since records began in 1979.

There were 250 fatal drink-drive accidents in 2012, compared with 220 in 2011. However, overall, the number of accidents involving drink-driving in 2012 remained fairly static (6,680 - fractionally down on the 2011 figure of 6,690) and the number of people seriously injured in drink-drive accidents declined  to 1,210 in 2012, from 1,270 in 2011. Minor injuries in drink-drive accidents totalled 8,500 in 2012 - slightly up on the 8,420 figure in 2011.

Among those killed in drink-drive accidents, 68% were drivers and riders over the legal alcohol limit. The remaining 32% were other road users, involved in the accident but not necessarily over the legal limit themselves.

Local Transport Minister Norman Baker said: “We are taking forward a package of measures to streamline enforcement against drink-driving, including approving portable evidential breath-testing equipment which will allow for more effective and efficient enforcement.”

All text and images © 2003 Alcohol In Moderation.